Monday, March 1, 2010

The very beginning

Tonight, slash it's really morning, I am finishing my abroad application! I just finished my homework for tomorrow, and editing my essays for my application when I decided I SHOULD START MY BLOG. It seemed like a neato idea to start the blog o' life in Russia with the day before I turned in my app. (Thanks Anne for inspiring me with your AMAZING blog) Of course, it is now 238 am. So for the first taste of my journey to Russia, I give you my answer to the application question: 

Please summarize below your reasons for wanting to participate in the program for which you are applying. Include any information not covered in the form which you think might favorable affect your application.
I wrote:

"In 2007 I was coming St. Olaf as a music major, but two weeks before I arrived I changed my mind. Put into an undecided major group, I felt lost without my passion for music, which had served as the directive force for my career plans.
 Then I fell in love with Russia. After a class with Professor Dale and an in-depth paper on Romania and Ukraine, I knew I wanted to focus my career on Russia and Eastern Europe. My first semester of sophomore year was invigorating, with three classes focusing on Russian language, politics, and history. During this time, my achievement was at its highest level of my academic career.
Realizing I had identified my niche, I attended Russian immersion school for the summer in order to advance my language skills and acquire a Russian Language degree. The commitment to immersion school was incredible, in money, time, and energy. With six hours in class per day, along with meals in Russian, four to five hours of homework and cultural immersion through excursions and films, it not only nurtured my studies, but my passion.
Following my graduation from St. Olaf, I plan to enroll in the Peace Corps and work in the Eastern European/Central Asian area to contribute to the areas still rallying after the collapse of the Soviet Union. Going to Russia next semester will not only solidify my Russian Language degree, but also give me the experience I will need to work in these areas for the Peace Corps and my endeavors beyond."
So that's it, this is what the mysterious deciders of my fate in the international studies office will read when they pick me (knock on wood) to go to Novgorod, Russia for the Fall of 2010 :D :D :D A special thanks to Steph$ for helping me with my revisions, all insightful, and Momma Boolava (Mom, Amy, My Matching Head, etc) for kind of giving me pointers while she fell asleep on the phone with me.
RUSSIA! 

Chmok chmok, (kiss kiss)
Taan-Taan

No comments:

Post a Comment